The first step was to install the rails on the 3 structural posts for the printer. This should be easy, and is, however there is some fine tuning since there is some variance between stops on the parts I received, which I decided is not a problem. However when installing the rails on the square tubing I decided to try and get them centered as best as I could. For this a vernier caliper is a necessity. Since the tubes are 20mm and the linear rails are 12mm, I set it for just a shade under 4mm, and used the end that extends from the back of the caliper as a gauge to center the rails, top and bottom, then tightened everything down. Not a big deal, but hopefully something that could avoid some issues down the road. I would have liked them to include some tips in the manual on improving the build since it seems like any additional accuracy that can be built in will only help, but it seems that the manual is focused on just the basics of constructing the printer. I have some ideas where to focus on accuracy however:
1. squaring the vertical tubes to the top and base
2. verifying the length of the rods from the carriages to the printhead is consistent and correct
3. checking for excessive play in the end joints for each connecting rod
4. verifying the bed is level and perpendicular to the rails - or as close to it as possible.
For these, I will try and make adjustments as needed, though at some point I will just get it done regardless. I am setting this aside for the next few days, but will update when I get some more time to complete the printer.