This is also a small batch recipe since I don't like to make a ton of the stuff when it it never gets better with age. This is for about 2 cups which is just enough for 3 people with moderate appetites.
First slice off 2 cups of cabbage from a head of cabbage (or bag of slaw mix). I just leave it rough cut, no need to get fancy (unless that's how you roll). Then place the cut up cabbage in a container and sprinkle 1/8 teaspoon of celery salt over it, then mix it up a bit. Next put it in the fridge for about 10 minutes. After 10 minutes, drain any water off the cabbage (it may not have any, but if there is, drain it off).
Next assemble the following:
- Mayonnaise (I use the real stuff from Best Foods)
- Jar of Pickles (bread and butter is what I use)
- Heinz Sweet Relish
- Dijon Mustard
- And the container of cut up cabbage
- One Teaspoon and one Tablespoon
- Celery Salt (in case it needs more salt)
Now for the fun part, just mix the following into the container of cut up cabbage:
- 2 Tablespoons of Mayo
- 2 Tablespoons of Pickle juice from the jar of Bread and Butter Pickels
- 1 Tablespoon of Sweet Picket Relish
- 2 Teaspoons of Dijon Mustard (reduce/remove/replace if you don't like Dijon)
- 2-3 grinds of pepper (about 1/8 Teaspoon I'd estimate)
Now just mix, mix, mix or cover it and shake, shake, shake and taste it to see if it needs more sweetness or salt. If it needs more sweetness, just add some more relish (honey also works). If it needs more salt then add a bit of celery salt. Then put it in the fridge for 10 minutes or so before serving.